Monday 28 October 2013

Davina Pogson MA Jewellery Silversmithing and Related Products

Artist Statement

I am influenced by women's dress; all the things that are a part of the rituals we practice every day, applying make-up, putting on jewellery, donning clothing, getting dressed.

I am intrigued by the trade-off between the words practical, functional and wearable in terms of fashion and fashion accessories. I describe the pieces I produce as objects rather than 'fashion' or 'jewellery'. This frees them from the confines these words can impose.

My work interprets wearability not in terms of functionality but in terms of it's relationship with the body no matter how brief.

I create objects employing a range of digital and traditional processes. Acrylic is currently my material of choice due to it's rigidity, it allows me to create pieces that the body must distort to accommodate. For me this raises questions of; wearability, functionality and practicality.  

I aim to create beautiful objects that can also be worn.

No comments:

Post a Comment